Because this dish cooks quickly, I recommend to have all your ingredients set out and prepared ahead of time.
2 cups cooked chickpeas ( 1 1/2 15.5 oz. cans)
14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
1 yellow onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 green chile (I used 1 tablespoon chili powder in a pinch)
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons garam masala (check out the links below if you cannot find this spice in your grocery store-make your own!
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (or ground cumin)
Cooked rice or naan (an Indian flatbread), for serving
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil.
2. When hot, add the cumin seeds and cook for a minute, until fragrant. Add the garlic, ginger, green chile (if using) and onion and cook for 6 minutes, until soft.
3. Add the garam masala, chili powder (if using), if using, turmeric, and coriander/cumin. Cook for a minute, until fragrant.
4. Add in the diced tomatoes, stir until combined. Let simmer for 5 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add water (I ended up adding about 1/2 cup)
5. Stir in the chickpeas. Cover, let simmer for 10 minutes. Serve immediately with rice or naan. Enjoy! :)
Homemade garam masala: